Friday, September 18, 2009

Shape

Here is my finished product for the Shape component of the "Elements" module. While I think it looks like garbage, I feel I successfully fulfilled the Goal of the assignment, seeing as I correctly followed the instructions and used the software properly. It clearly illustrates the element "shape", seeing as it shows an assortment of what could not be considered anything other than shapes on a white background. I feel I experimented as much as I could within the confines of the assignment (which were for this particular element, quite rigid), it's not really clear what kind of "risks" one could take when the instructions are very specific to you and laid out as clear as day. To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like I learned a thing with this specific component of the module, because my rudimentary knowledge of adobe illustrator covers the tools and aspects of the program necessary to complete this component, and because I completed first year art school where we heavily covered the elements and principles of design (in fact it was also covered extensively in high school art class).

I probably sound somewhat negative in this blog post, but I am just being honest.

5 comments:

  1. I think that looks really cool. Looks like a woman on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah,
    I'm supposed to be doing your peer critique so here it is...
    I think you did a good job of demonstrating the element of shape. The piece is very interesting visually and I like the placement of it one the page. The balance between the different scales of the shapes looks really good. I also like your use of different shape qualities such as organic and geometric shapes. I don't think there is anything I would change about it. The right hand section of it kind of reminds me of a lion head. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yeah I can see that. I was thinking the one shape looked like breasts when I was trying to find a place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you leah, you have a nice photo collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece Leah, and interesting to hear your thoughts on the exercise. I hear what you're saying, but consider this as well:

    In Graphic Design there are always constraints... frequently rigid & tight, other times a little more relaxed, but they're always there. Rarely does a designer have free reign to do as they please. This is one of the biggest challenges for many designers. It takes a lot of practice and a real shift in thinking to embrace that. To find a unique and interesting solution and to find ways of taking risks within the constraints of what a client & audience is looking for is often incredibly difficult and not always creatively satisfying.

    As an artist, it can be very difficult to make the switch... from doing what you want to doing what your client wants. And make no mistake, this is a client driven industry. For many artists, this goes against their principles and creative goals. It's not uncommon for artists to discover that Graphic Design is not for them. Many choose to focus on illustration vs. design and find this to be a good compromise.

    We discussed this and the "Role of the Graphic Designer" on Orientation day, which I believe you were absent for. It might be worth checking out the PDF in that folder. It may help explain why we design the assignments the way we do. That said, not all of the assignments in the program have this many constraints... hopefully you will enjoy those more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.