I applied to this program with goals of honing my design skills and software knowledge, getting away from the soul-crushing service industry and back into a creative environment and hopefully reapplying to Emily Carr to finish my degree in the spring with a fresh skill set and a new perspective... But even now this isn't clear! I guess the only goal I can define is that I want to open doors for myself and finish something. Whether I wind up with a slick design job or the skills and updated knowledge to successfully promote and market myself as an "artist", doesn't matter.... Just as long as I'm in a better creative and mental place than I was when I gained entry into the program.
It's difficult to pin down a greatest source of inspiration, because this is constantly shifting and I think It's boring to only be inspired by one thing or group of things. I can be inspired by all kinds of things. Here are some examples:
- The patterns on non-branded paper cups you get with takeout or at the movie theatre
- Film noir aesthetic
- The aesthetic of the Bauhaus era (specifically typefaces and architecture)
- The photography of Fred Herzog
- Scandinavian childrens books from the 1950s and 1960s
- 80s skateboard graphics
- Factory records album covers
- The landscape of the part of Canada I grew up in (Northern Ontario)
- Inuit art
- The Winnipeg airport (pre-renovations)
- National Film Board of Canada animations
I suppose I'll know I've met my (loose, vague) goals based on how I *feel* when I have finished the program, but even then I don't know if I will know immediately! Provided I haven't been kicked out for truancy. That's not even close to five measurable results... Sorry!
Leah,your voice of writting is so non toxic,and i really like that!
ReplyDeleteI hope you know what i mean.Just to make it more clear,let me ad that in art each and every creation has a voice,sound and color which has to do with the artist.your voice is green and i like it!
I liked reading your blog, it was real and was as if i could hear your voice. I'm sure you'll figure out what to do and where to go sooner than later. Time will tell.
ReplyDeleteEven I like reading your blog, best of luck!
ReplyDelete